Gregg Sultan is Of Counsel in the Firm’s Corporate and Entertainment, Media & The Arts Departments. His practice involves all aspects of acquisition and enforcement of trademarks and copyrights, with extensive experience in trademark clearance, prosecution and registration for brands in the apparel and food and beverage industries.
Gregg regularly advises clients in trademark and copyright prosecution, licensing and transactional matters, and new media and technology transactions. He is highly regarded for his work relating to promotional activities, including branding strategy, as well as intellectual property acquisitions, licensing agreements in acquisitions, joint ventures, and financing arrangements.
Gregg has also been certified by the International Association of Privacy Professionals as a Certified Information Privacy Professional/U.S. CIPP has been recognized as the world’s preeminent credential in the business of privacy and demonstrates that recipients of the certification have an understanding of privacy and data protection law and practice, including: jurisdictional laws, regulations and enforcement models; essential privacy concepts and principles, including company policies and compliance; and legal requirements for handling and transferring data, among other things. Gregg has experience handling all of these issues, in particular, advising on creating and adhering to privacy policies to comply with Europe’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), among other things, and he is up to date on the trends and potential new legislation in this area.
Selected representative matters include:
- Regularly evaluates comparative advertising and counsels on parameters of fair use and fair competition.
- Represents energy drink and nutraceutical drink brands related to the enforcement of trademark use and misuse.
- Structured joint licensing agreement between a designer jeans brand and a well-known celebrity.
- Negotiated and handled transfer of domain name, including drafting domain name transfer agreement, for a social network and website specific to artists. Assisted the client in establishing their Internet business operations, including terms and conditions.
- Negotiated and drafted international master license agreement between an apparel brand owner and licensing agent to ensure the protection of the design of a jeans brand and further market the brand in different fields.
- Negotiated and drafted right of publicity license and endorsement agreements between well-known eyewear company and multiple celebrities.
- Negotiated and drafted trademark license agreement regarding use of well-known hair care products and cosmetics.
- Negotiated and drafted website linking and content agreement and license agreement regarding use of sports mascot in connection with acquisition of sports franchise.
- Drafted form intellectual property infringement indemnification agreements for use by marketing and consumer goods client with Chinese manufacturers.
- Food and Beverage
- The State Bar of California
- Loyola Law School, J.D.
- Brandeis University, B.A. in History
- Phi Alpha Theta Historical Honor Society
- Dean’s List