Chris is Chair of the Firm’s Litigation Department. He has a broad-based litigation practice, in which he represents clients from California to Lebanon in complex commercial, entertainment, financial services, business, real estate, environmental, and employment disputes in state and federal courts and arbitration. Chris has also engaged in negotiations with numerous government agencies, and has appeared before the National Labor Relations Board. Representative clients include real estate developers, contractors, and investors; private equity funds; production companies; internet companies; music industry professionals; fashion and culture magazines; authors; movie studios and producers; service industry providers; newspapers; bankruptcy creditors; charitable and non-profit organizations; medical and dental professionals; entrepreneurs; mortgage lending and servicing companies; and private investors. Chris also regularly counsels clients on litigation-avoidance strategies and legal compliance issues.
In addition to his domestic practice, Chris has served as a consulting expert on American law issues in multimillion dollar overseas disputes in Ireland and Canada. Chris is also an avid legal writer. His writings on civil procedure, trial practice, and substantive law have been cited extensively by numerous federal district and appellate courts and leading national treatises.
Selected representative matters include:
- Obtained a summary dismissal of all claims against his clients and a substantial fee award in an eight-figure lawsuit involving a housing development in West Hollywood.
- Obtained numerous eight-figure settlements for plaintiff-clients.
- Negotiated a “100 cents on the dollar” settlement and written admission of fraud on behalf of investor client
- Negotiated a substantial confidential settlement on behalf of a downtown Los Angeles real estate developer in a case involving lis pendens issues.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice at the pleading stage of all claims brought against his client, a private equity fund.
- Obtained a dismissal with prejudice at the pleading stage and fee award in a case then-pending before the Northern District of California involving claims of Truth In Lending Act violations.
- Obtained a judgment following a jury trial on behalf of an Armenian charitable organization for Lebanese clients that ultimately resulted in a favorable settlement and published, written apology.
- Obtained a “walk away” settlement and sanctions award against the opposing party on behalf of his client, a prominent money manager, in a multimillion dollar fraud action.
- Obtained more than a dozen writs of attachment on behalf of plaintiff-clients, and defeated numerous other such applications on behalf of defendant-clients.
- Litigated and arbitrated cases alleging fraud; commercial contract disputes; breach of fiduciary duty; interference; entertainment and royalty accounting disputes; conversion; breach of partnership obligations; bankruptcy abuse and fraud; and employment discrimination and harassment.
- Served as Special Litigation Counsel in numerous bankruptcy proceedings and has appeared and argued before the California Court of Appeal and Ninth Circuit United States Court of Appeals.
- Pepperdine University, School of Law, J.D., Summa Cum Laude
- Associate Editor and Member, Pepperdine Law Review
- University of Oklahoma, B.A., with Distinction
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
Professional Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- The State Bar of California