For over 30 years Andy has been an ardent legal advocate for creators of intellectual property and entertainment entrepreneurs. His client base spans the spectrum from emerging talent to iconic music superstars and from established companies to start-ups.
Andy is well versed in the challenges facing the music industry and has spoken at numerous educational events, been featured in books, quoted in Billboard and the Wall Street Journal, and interviewed on NPR. Andy is actively involved with NARAS’ NY Chapter’s Board of Governors, the Board of Directors of the TJ Martell Foundation (the music industry’s charity committed to finding a cure for cancer) and the ABA’s Music & Personal Appearances Division as its Vice Chair.
- Entertainment, Media & The Arts
- Harvard Law School, J.D.
- Brown University, A.B.
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in New York Super Lawyers, 2006 – 2018
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected, Chambers & Partners USA Guide, Media & Entertainment: Music – New York, 2009 - 2019
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers of America©, Entertainment Law – Music, 2018 - 2020
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Guest Speaker, NYU Steinhardt’s Summer Songwriter’s Workshop
- Entertainment Panel, American Bar Association (ABA), “Working with Creatives”
- Guest Speaker, NYU Steinhardt’s: “Decision-Making in the Music Business”
- Entertainment Panel, American Bar Association (ABA), “Copyright, Copy Left, Do You Copy?”
- Panelist, The Council of Music Creators Music Biz 101: “Songwriter Agreements”
- Panelist, NARAS futureNOW: “Independent Artist”
- Quoted, “Katy Perry’s Perfect Game,” National Public Radio, interviewed by Zoe Chace
- Featured, “The Big Payback: The History of the Business of Hip-Hop,” Dan Charnas
- Featured Chapter, “It All Begins With the Music: Developing Successful Artists for the New Music Business,” Don Grierson and Dan Kimpel
- Quoted, “Degrees of Difficulty,” & “Behind the Live Nation/Madonna Deal,” Billboard
- Quoted, “Music & Law: The New Dealmakers,” Billboard
- Quoted, “Now, Here’s The Pitch (Featuring Ja Rule and Gwen Stefani),” The Wall Street Journal
Professional Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- TJ Martell Foundation. Positions previously or currently held: National Board of Directors, East Coast Board of Directors, Secretary and General Counsel, Committees: Executive, Family Day
- American Bar Association Vice Chair of the Music & Personal Appearance Division, 2013 – Present
- National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences (The Grammy Organization). New York Chapter Board of Governors positions previously or currently held: Vice President, Secretary / Treasurer, Committees: Nominations, Advocacy, Entertainment Law Initiative Advisory
- 3rd Annual Law Rocks NYC Judge, 2016
- Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation Entertainment Industry Committee
- The Creative Coalition Music Co-Chair, 2012
- Executive Producer, Dr. John’s Ske-Dat-De-Dat: The Spirit of Satch album
- Associate Producer, Dr. Zhivago Musical