Benjamin’s practice focuses on complex commercial matters in both federal and state court, particularly disputes involving the federal and state securities laws, contract breach claims, and business torts, as well as pre-litigation workouts and creative settlement solutions.
Selected representative matters include:
- Obtained dismissal of copyright infringement suit on the pleadings in Florida federal court on Rule 12(b)(2) grounds for independent film production company.
- Represented Oscar-winning independent film production company asserting claims of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty against various parties in connection with failed international purchase transaction.
- Represented renowned music studio engineer in connection with claims of breach of royalty participation and consulting agreements against audio technology company.
- Obtained favorable settlement representing former metal detector importer against claims of breach of contract brought by competing company.
- Represented foreign film distribution company in connection with arbitration of contract breach claims asserted against film producer.
- Represented home security company against various business tort claims brought by competing company.*
- Obtained dismissal of class action claims brought against mining company under numerous federal securities laws.*
- Represented insurance company in class and individual actions arising out of “cost of insurance” increases on universal life insurance policies.*
- Obtained favorable settlement representing one of three chief-level executives at national mortgage lender against numerous securities fraud claims brought by SEC.*
- Represented $3.5 billion hotel and resort debtor in Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing.*
- Represented mutual fund complex investment manager against claims brought by shareholders under Investment Company Act. Resulted in judgment in favor of manager following bench trial.*
* Matters handled prior to joining the Firm.
- Loyola Law School, J.D.
- Loyola Marymount University, B.A.