Leslie D. Corwin is the Managing Partner of the New York office and a Partner in the Firm’s Litigation Department.
Les is an experienced trial and appellate lawyer who focuses his practice on disputes, mergers and acquisitions, liquidations, dissolutions, and bankruptcies. He has broad experience with the full range of valuation, accounting, and ethical issues that typically arise in business ruptures. He has litigated issues of first impression and his practice also includes elements of securities, employment law, ERISA, real estate, and bankruptcy.
Les has represented and negotiated on behalf of the principals, partners, and senior executives of many of the country’s leading investment banks and private equity firms, international and national law firms and accounting firms, broker-dealers, investment banks, hedge funds, and real estate
Respected by courts for his substantive knowledge and professionalism, Les has testified as an expert witness, is a member of the Committee on Character and Fitness for the Supreme Court of the State of New York, First Judicial Department, and serves on multiple other court committees.
He is a frequent analyst on CNN, CNBC, and Fox television, as well as for The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times. He also writes extensively for law journals and leading industry publications, and has lectured for the judiciary, bar, legal associations and law schools, industry organizations, and Harvard Business School. His 1998 book, Law Firm Partnership Agreements, which he co-authored, is considered the definitive treatise on the subject.
In July 2017, Les participated in the Aspen Institute’s 2017 Justice & Society Seminar, an annual invitation-only seminar co-founded by the late Supreme Court Justice Harry A. Blackmun that is composed of 20 distinguished participants from various professional fields.
- Professional Services
- Real Estate
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D.
- Brown University, B.A.
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
Professional Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- American Bar Association’s Section of Business Law
- American Bar Foundation Fellow
- American Law Institute
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Board of Directors of Israel Tennis Centers Foundation
- Committee on Character and Fitness, Supreme Court of the State of New York, First Judicial Department
- Independent Judicial Screening Committee for the Supreme Court of New York County
- Judiciary and Federal Courts Committees for the New York County Lawyers Association
- Justice Circle, Aspen Institute
- Law Advisory Committee of Fordham University School of Law
- National Arbitration Forum’s Panel of Arbitrators and Mediators
- New York Bar Foundation Fellow
- New York State Bar Association
- Task Force of the New York State Unified Court System’s Pro Bono Scholars Program, which provides law students with the opportunity to dedicate their last semester of law school to performing full-time pro bono service for the poor
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers of America ©, Commercial Litigation, 2005-2019, Litigation – Real Estate, 2005-2017
- Selected for inclusion in New York Super Lawyers, 2006-2008, 2010-2018
- Named,”Legal Elite” in Litigation, Avenue Magazine, 2011 – 2012
- Listed, “Appellate Practice Group of the Year, Law 360, 2011
- Listed in Who’s Who in American Law
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recommended in “PLC Which Lawyer?”, 2009
- Quoted, “Once Storied Sedgwick Files for Bankruptcy as Wind-Down Fails”, American Lawyer, October 2, 2018