John D. Maatta is Of Counsel in the Firm’s Entertainment, Media & The Arts Department.
John’s practice focuses on entertainment and media law, including the negotiation and drafting of development, production, new media, video on demand, talent, employment, co-production and financing agreements for both scripted and non-scripted content. John has considerable experience regarding matters related to the distribution and exhibition of content by broadcast, cable and internet platforms, affiliate relations, broadcast standards and matters involving media-related technology and the formation of network platforms including the creation of OTT services. Additionally, John is seasoned trial attorney with considerable experience representing clients at mediations, arbitrations, and at trial, including lengthy and complex jury trials.
Selected representative matters include:
- The negotiation and drafting of agreements concerning: (i) dissemination of content by studios to major SVOD providers, (ii) the sale program formats by an international cable caster to a domestic platform, (iii) the distribution of international television content, (iv) the co-production of television programming
- The creation of a national network utilizing, cable, satellite and IP platforms as the distribution instrumentalities.
John served as Co-Head of Network/Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel at The CW Television Network. In those roles he was responsible for the following operating department: Media Sales, Finance, Technology, Business Affairs, Legal, Broadcast Standards, Network Distribution, and Human Resources. He later served as a senior network executive at The CW Television Network.
Prior to his roles at The CW Network, John was the Chief Operating Officer of the WB Television Network as well as its Executive Vice President and General Counsel. He was the first employee of the WB Television Network, and was an executive at Warner Bros. and its related companies for almost three decades.
- Film and Television
- Cable and Digital Distribution
- University of California, Hastings College of Law, J.D., 1977
- University of San Francisco, B.A., 1974 Cum Laude
Professional Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Asia Society of Southern California, Member of the Board of Directors, 2013-Present
- Rochester Television Ventures, LLC, Member of the Board of Directors, 2000-2006
- Southern California Unicef Board, 2013–Present
- Start Engine, Member of the Board of Advisors, 2011–Present
- Trader Vic’s Restaurant Corporation, Member of the Board of Directors, 1998–Present
- Chairman of the Trader Vic’s Board, 2000-2003
- UNICEF Chinese Children’s Initiative, Founder and Chairman, 2012–Present
- UNICEF, President of Southern California UNICEF Board, 2013-2016
- Wizard World, Member of the Board of Directors, 2011-Present