Ryan D. Austin is an Associate in the Firm’s Litigation Department.
Ryan’s practice focuses on general litigation in federal and state court, including complex commercial litigation involving entertainment, real estate, corporate and securities law, financial restructuring and intellectual property.
Among his clients are Fortune 500 companies, production companies, financial institutions, insurance companies, private equity funds, technology companies, music rights organizations, Chapter 11 debtors and creditors, and individual executives and officers.
Selected representative matters include:
- Currently represents Voltage Pictures in a high-profile lawsuit brought by Mel Gibson’s company, Icon Productions, LLC in connection with the yet-to-be-released movie, “The Professor and the Madman,” and another lawsuit brought by the film’s director, Farhad Safinia. The case brought by Icon is set for trial in January 2019. The case brought by the director is set for trial in April 2019.
- Currently represent fashion designer and entertainment personality client bringing fraud and related claims against her former business partner.
- Currently represent production company in breach of contract action against co-producers.
- Currently represent biopharmaceutical company bringing securities fraud and lender liability claims against a group of its lenders in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Represented prominent actor and comedian in numerous defamation actions filed across the country. Obtained several dismissals.*
- Represented multinational hotel chain in two separate multi-billion class actions alleging violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and related claims.*
- Represented national performing rights organization in interpleader action involving competing claims for royalties payable by client.*
- Represented performing rights organization in two separate actions brought by plaintiffs alleging mishandling of royalty payments. Obtained dismissals of both actions.*
- Obtained favorable settlement representing a multinational insurance brokerage firm against a variety of fraud claims brought by national property management joint-venture related to non-disclosure of fees.*
- Obtained favorable settlement representing one of three high-level executives at a national mortgage lender against a variety of securities fraud claims brought by the SEC.*
- Represented creditor in Chapter 11 restructuring of media company.*
- Represented creditor groups in $5.8 billion Chapter 11 restructuring of educational services company.*
- Represented $3.5 billion hotel and resort debtor in Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing.*
* Matters handled prior to joining the Firm.
- Commercial Litigation
- Media & Entertainment
- Real Estate
- White Collar
- Intellectual Property
- University of Southern California, J.D.
- Duke University, B.A.